Saturday, March 1, 2014

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!


March has to be one of my favorite months. I love celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday! Every year I try to find new ideas for decorating classrooms and new activities for my children. Here is a list of my favorite Dr. Seuss arts/crafts, activities, and more. I hope you enjoy!

Truffula Trees

One of my most favorite Dr. Seuss crafts are Truffula Trees from The Lorax. These trees are super easy to make. Add in some play dough and children will have fun using their fine motor skills making sculptures and adding the truffula trees as a finishing touch!


http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2013/02/truffula-trees-craft-from-the-lorax/

One Fish Two Fish

After reading One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish with my children, they made red and blue fish hand prints. They had a lot of fun getting to paint with their hands!

                   




I extended this activity by explaining how two different colors can be combined to make a new color. I added more paint to their hands and told them to rub them together. To their surprise, they found that the paint color had turned to purple!

For snack time we enjoyed rainbow colored goldfish. While eating, we talked about the colors of the goldfish. When the kids were done eating they sorted the goldfish by color. We used this cool graph from http://www.scribd.com/doc/126330773/goldfish-graphing.

I used a simpler version for my two year daughter. I cut out a fish pattern out of construction paper and had her place goldfish on the matching color cutout.


Bartholomew and the Oobleck 

Slimy Oobleck - This is a great and messy activity that will keep little ones busy for a long time!

Materials Needed:
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup water
  • mixing bowl 
  • food coloring (optional) 
Mix together the cornstarch and water in mixing bowl. It will have a runny pancake like consistency. Add in food coloring.
 
               

Green Eggs and Ham 

 After reading Green Eggs and Ham this morning, we made green eggs (and grits instead of ham). My oldest was skeptical to say the least. My natural response of course was "Try them, try them, and you may. Try them and you may I say!"   My son liked the green eggs while my daughter ate her grits instead. My husband and I got in the action with a grown-up version of green eggs.  All you need are eggs, ham and green food coloring. Mix together and cook. Then enjoy your meal. Yummy!        
     

With so many ideas out there, it is hard to decide which ones to do first! I hope you everyone has fun celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday.

For more great Dr. Seuss ideas check out my Pinterest page
















No comments:

Post a Comment